Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm applying for jobs. I know, that's not exactly news to you, dear reader. But whoa, I am totally applying for jobs. Depending on how you count it, I've applied for between five and ten jobs. Ten! That's nuts! And I have five tabs up from idealist.org with more possibilities, along with the three openings I've already saved to apply for. What is that? Eighteen? Probably at least twenty by the time I finish. I'd better get a job out of all this, damn it.

Jobs I've applied for that I'm excited about: Field Director with the Energy Action Coalition (tying grassroots activists into each other and the movement at large) and Campaign Coordinator with America Bikes (pretty self-explanatory).

Best-paying job I've applied for: Paralegal in the Pentagon. I'd be answering Freedom of Information Act requests, which is pretty alright as government jobs go. If there's one thing I'm willing to do for the government, it's helping them to not keep secrets.

Jobs that I didn't apply for: Litigation Assistant with Earth Justice (while righteous, it looked like a demanding and unrewarding job) and SPROG trainer (technically a volunteer position).

In the midst of this job-hunting flurry, I've also gotten through two weeks of classes. They've been pretty pleasant so far. Environmental Ethics, Sensation and Perception, Intro to Film and Media Studies (with a strong gender/race/class angle!), Self-Defense, and Choir. Doesn't that sound like a lovely semester to you? I also have my SMP to do. Frankly, I haven't done anything on it so far. I'm a bad student. I'm meeting with my adviser (and her month-old baby) tomorrow, and I'm guessing things will put themselves in order then.

After meeting with Debbie, Elizabeth, Flynn, and I are headed to DC. I'll be talking to Tina about my sleeve, hopefully hanging out with Matt a little, and having Sunday brunch with Flynn's parents. They go every week and Flynn is excited to drag a few friends along. We'll have to head back soon after lunch on Sunday so I can be back to school in time for a Vagina Monologues rehearsal. I now have two monologues ("Because he Liked to Look at it" and "The Flood") thanks to one of my fellow cast-members dropping out. Performances are February 12-14 if anyone wants to come down to see me.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about last night. Last night was the first SEAC meeting of the semester, and the first time in a year that I wasn't president or co-president. Nifty. While I do think I talked more than your average bear, I did make a concerted effort to step back. Elizabeth facilitated the meeting, it didn't dissolve into chaos, and I'm very excited for what we are going to do this semester. I'm also excited every time I forward an email to the new co-presidents with "I'm no longer the contact person for this organization."

I'll have to miss the meeting next week. I have a doctor's appointment in Fairfax next Thursday morning. I'll be having dinner with my parents while SEAC folks are figuring out how to save the world. There are worse things I could be doing, to be sure.

Future, future, future. I feel so future-focused and young. Perhaps that's because I am.

No comments: