Saturday, December 14, 2013

I am leaving in a week and a day. (So soon!) I am reaching a sense of closure, which is good. It's also a bit sad, but I suppose that's the way of it.

I went down to Twin Oaks last weekend to say my farewells. I had hugs and long chats with three of my very good friends and invited them to visit if they're ever on the left coast. I had a processing date with someone who has struggled with me, which reminded me to write a note to someone with whom I had struggled.

I headed up to Takoma Park a couple days ago for a farewell dinner with my good friends from college. Everyone seemed to be going through a change or transition of some sort; I fit right in.

My mother sighs a little sigh every time she hugs me now and comments about how much she'll miss me.

Things are wrapping up at work. I have signed a "voluntary termination" document and trained my replacement. My students and I are working hard on our production of Much Ado About Nothing, which performs just before I go. They're such a joy to work with, and they're really shining through in this show. I'll miss them.

I have minimized and econo-sized my belongings. I think I might actually fit everything in my car, other than a couple boxes I plan to mail.

I am excitedly making plans about gardening, tending chickens, landscaping, and general homemaking in Washington. This may have included sending out a massive, multi-page email about starting our chicken flock, to which everyone responded by politely telling me to calm down. I am impatient.

And now I am waiting. I have many things to do, and I'm grateful to have projects to pass the time, but I am waiting.

No comments: